Glass Art Society Seminar & Collectors Tours
Are you considering collecting museum-quality art with a focus on glass but don't know where to begin? Are you an established collector who believes its time to expand your collection of master glass artists and learn more about younger artists new to the market? The Glass Art Society will help you learn from established collectors, curators and artists — people who can tell you where to begin, who know the market, and who know how to properly display and handle art made with glass.
The 2012 Collectors Tour in Toledo, Ohio
Tuesday - Saturday, June 12 - 16
Price per person: $1,300 (GAS member), $1,420 (non-member)
THIS TOUR HAS
Price includes admission fees & ground transportation to all events listed below, most lunches and most dinners, VIP seating for special events, and a conference pass. Tour has sold out with 25 participants.
Toledo is home to one of the most impressive museum collections of glass, as well as to numerous avid and long-standing collectors. Get exclusive access to private collections, curator-led tours, and special demonstrations through the Collectors Tour.
- Attend a Collectors Tour welcome dinner with the GAS Board of Directors, hosted by local glass collectors at their home along the Maumee River.
- Lunch at Erica Rapp’s new restaurant, Registry Bistro.
- Tour private collections in the Toledo area.
- Motor on up to the Motor City of Detroit to…
-Tour private collections.
-Visit the oldest and largest gallery in the US devoted exclusively to artists working with glass
-Enjoy a curator’s tour of the Detroit Institute of Arts’ glass collection.
- Enjoy a curator-led tour of COLOR IGNITED. Glass 1962-2012, the special exhibition in TMA’s new gallery.
- See Tiffany’s work in its original setting:
-A site with 16 large Tiffany windows.
-A home with light fixtures and door hardware commissioned by Tiffany.
- View the famous vitrolite murals at Toledo Lucas County Public Library.
- Enjoy a private tour of Owens Corning offices, which contain architectural glass detail by Tom Patti.
- Watch a special glassmaking demonstration by a world-renowned glassblower.
- Attend a personal, interactive collectors panel, in which a collector, curator, gallery owner, and artist discuss building a collection.
Cancellation Policy: Space is very limited. Cancellations received in writing before April 16, 2012, will be given a full refund. There will be no refunds after April 16, 2012. Itinerary is subject to change.
Click here to return to the 2012 Toledo conference main page.
Past Collectors Seminars & Tours
2011 Seattle, WA Seminar & Collectors Tour, June 1-4
The Glass Art Society created a special events package for collectors who wanted to be present when the glass-loving city of Seattle played host to 1,500 glass enthusiasts. Below is a brief description of the Collectors Tour, led by art consultant Dena Rigby.
Participants of the Collectors Tour…
- Received a conference pass, with VIP seating for special events.
- Visited the studios of: Dante Marioni, Boyd Sugiki & Lisa Zerkowitz, Jim Mongrain, Karen Buhler, April Surgent & Ethan Stern, the new Schack Art Center in Everett, David Huchthausen (loft), Richard Royal, Cassandria Blackmore (showroom)
- Observed renowned and emerging artists demonstrating glassblowing techniques.
- Visited Seattle’s top glass collections.
- Attended the Pre-Conference Reception at Dale Chihuly’s boathouse studio.
- Enjoyed lunch at Flora Mace & Joey Kirkpatrick’s studio.
- Met the GAS Board of Directors at a special garden party at Ginny Ruffner’s home and studio.
- Took a private tour of the Museum of Glass in Tacoma and viewed special exhibitions by Beth Lipman & Ingalena Klenell, and Richard Meitner. Blowing demonstrations were seen in the hot shop with Richard Royal, and Rik Allen & Shelley Muzylowski-Allen.
- Lunched at Hotel Murano, a Condé Nast Gold List hotel that exhibits contemporary glass on every floor.
- Attended the conference keynote address by Derrick Cartwright, Director of Seattle Art Museum and conference panel moderated by curator Margery Aronson.
- Attended the Gallery Hop in Seattle and the conference Closing Night Party at the Seattle Art Museum.
- Joined other collectors and glass enthusiasts at the following fun events: Goblet Grab and Silent and Live Auction
2008 Collectors Seminar & Tour - Portland, OR
2007 Collectors Seminar & Tour - Seattle, WA
The Glass Art Society reserves the right to deny applications for Technical Display, advertising participation, GAS membership or the conference from anyone for any reason.