2016 Corning, New York
45th Annual Glass Art Society Conference: June 9-11, 2016
GAS is now accepting proposals for conference presentations that best highlight the theme including lectures, demonstrations, lec-mos and panel discussions.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE - MARCH 28, 2015
Creating Context: Glass in a New Light
The Board of the Glass Art Society is proud to announce that the GAS Conference will be returning to Corning, in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York, June 9-11, 2016. The Corning Museum of Glass will host, and conference participants will experience the museum’s new Contemporary Art +Design Wing, including a 26,000-square-foot light-filled gallery plus an expansive, state-of-the-art Amphitheater Hotshop.
In addition to the excellent content that GAS strives to deliver at all of our conferences, participants will have the opportunity to experience and study the world’s foremost glass collection, explore the extensive holdings of the Rakow Research Library and enjoy historic Corning’s long tradition of glassmaking. The 2016 GAS Conference offers a comprehensive opportunity to expand your understanding of the story of glass. Create your own context for the future of glassmaking with your fellow artists, collectors, manufacturers, scientists, experts, and students at the 2016 GAS Conference in Corning, NY!
Please apply under the category you feel would best fit your proposed presentation:
- LEC-MO (Lecture/Demo on an artists process)
- DEMONSTRATION: Hot - Flame - Cold
- PANEL: Green - At Risk Youth - Education - Careers in Art - Other
- OTHER EVENT OR IDEA
Generally slots are between 1-1.5 hours in duration; $400 USD Honorarium is split by all who present in a slot except Panels where Moderators receive $250 and panelists $200 each up to 4 people total). Subject to change.
Image: Rendering of the Hot Glass Theater, courtesy of The Corning Museum of Glass
- Proposals must be submitted in English and all presentations are to be given in English.
- Each proposal must be submitted with a completed submission form as either a .doc or .pdf file, with applicable images, resumes, etc.
- All submissions meeting these requirements will be reviewed by the GAS Board of Directors and conference co-chairs.
- Travel to and accommodations during the conference are the responsibility of the presenter.
- Notifications for submitted proposals may be sent anytime after the date of the planning meeting. Due to the complicated nature of putting together the conference schedule with many different presenters, notifications can be made at different times. Fully confirmed presenters may be posted on our website or in promotional material as we receive them. If you have not yet heard back from GAS on your particular proposal, there is still a chance you may be worked into the schedule. We apologize for the possible lengthy wait and as always appreciate your patience.
- If accepted, a presenter will be contacted by a GAS Board member, or conference co-chair, and will be required to sign a contract and submit information for promotional materials by a certain date.
*Don't have Microsoft office? You can download free software to open & edit word files at www.openoffice.org GAS has no association
How to Submit Your Proposal
Ready to submit?
Go to www.glassart.org/Applications_Submissions.html listed under the Events menu
1. Click on start your submission
2. Anyone submitting must LOGIN using your email address and password
- PEOPLE WITH A LOGIN - Current or Expired GAS Members and those that already signed up as a Submitter
Click on Choose your category and start your submission
- DON'T HAVE A LOGIN? REGISTER TO BECOME A SUBMITTER
1. Enter your contact info and create a password
2. After continuing to your profile you may edit it or Logout to return to the Submitter Login page and use the "Choose your category and start your submission" link
3. Click on the category you want to submit in. Eg. “LECTURE proposals - 2016 Corning Conference”
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on NEW SUBMISSION
5. Title your submission in the following manner “Last First - Category - Title of your presentation”.
6. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to Upload one file at a time
- Click NEW FILE
- Then the BROWSE/CHOOSE FILE button and select the file from your computer
- Click SUBMIT to upload it
7. Continue to add NEW FILE until you have uploaded all required files
You can also MODIFY your application and any uploaded files if needed
8. After you have uploaded all of your files click the FINISH link to submit your application.
Once submitted your application will need to be reviewed and approved by GAS staff to ensure all files were uploaded properly and are visible. Once approved the Board and Co-chairs will be able to review your submission.
Contact email@example.com in case of problems.
The Glass Art Society reserves the right to deny applications for Technical Display, advertising participation, GAS membership or the conference from anyone for any reason.