2017 Norfolk, Virginia
46th Annual Glass Art Society Conference: June 1-3, 2017
PROPOSALS DUE DECEMBER 15, 2015
View submission guidelines and instructions.
The Glass Art Society invites artists to submit proposals for its 46th annual conference, to be held in Norfolk, Virginia and hosted by the Chrysler Museum of Art and its Perry Glass Studio, from June 1–3, 2017.
The 2017 conference theme will be Reflections from the Edge: Glass, Art, and Performance. Artists are invited to submit proposals now through December 15, 2015 for content highlighting the theme, to include performances, technical demonstrations, lectures and panel discussions. We encourage artists and critics to strongly consider the history of glass as a performative medium and how this past is influencing the field’s current and future climate with the larger contemporary art world.
GAS selected the Chrysler, in part, on the strengths of its renowned glass collection and its state-of-the-art Perry Glass Studio’s growing national reputation in the world of glass, especially its groundbreaking glass theatrical performances.
Coastal Virginia is home to a thriving arts community that includes the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art and the Virginia Glass Guild, and is the site of Jamestown, where the first glassmaking in Colonial America took place in 1608. Both the Museum and the Glass Studio serve as an anchor for Norfolk’s blossoming NEON, or New Energy of Norfolk, arts district. The district will launch in fall 2015, inviting visual, performing, culinary, and touring artists to transform several downtown blocks into a synergistic urban hub for creativity.
GAS is now accepting proposals for conference presentations that best highlight the theme including lectures, demonstrations, lec-mos, performances, films, and panel discussions.
Please apply under the category you feel would best fit your proposed presentation:
- LEC-MO (Lecture/demo on an artist's process)
- FILM SCREENING
Presentations typically last 1-1.5 hours in duration and generally offer a $400 USD honorarium per slot, which is split by all presenters in that slot. Panels are limited to one moderator ($250 USD honoraria) and 3 panelists ($200 honoraria each). For film screenings, one presenter ($250 USD honorarium) leads an introduction and Q&A session. Hot glass demonstrators are allowed one assistant (assistant receives complimentary conference pass). Subject to change.
Prepare your submission:
- Proposals must be submitted in English and all presentations are to be given in English.
- Each proposal must be submitted with a completed submission form as either a .doc or .pdf file, with applicable images, resumes, etc.
- All complete submissions will be reviewed by the GAS Board of Directors and conference co-chairs.
- Travel and accommodations are the responsibility of the presenter.
- Notifications for submitted proposals may be sent anytime after the date of the planning meeting. Due to the complicated nature of putting together the conference schedule with many different presenters, notifications can be made at different times. Fully confirmed presenters may be posted on our website or in promotional material as we receive them. If you have not yet heard back from GAS on your particular proposal, there is still a chance you may be worked into the schedule. We apologize for the possible lengthy wait and as always appreciate your patience.
- If accepted, a presenter will be contacted by a GAS Board member, or conference co-chair, and will be required to sign a contract and submit information for promotional materials by a certain date.
How to Submit Your Proposal
- Go to the submissions page
- Click on start your submission
- Anyone submitting must LOG IN using your email address and password
- PEOPLE WITH A USERNAME AND PASSWORD - Current or expired GAS Members and previous submitters will have existing login credentials. Please log into the site and click on Choose Your Category to begin.
- DON'T HAVE A USERNAME AND PASSWORD? REGISTER TO BECOME A SUBMITTER. Enter your contact info and create a password. After continuing to your profile you may edit it or Logout to return to the Submitter Login page and use the "Choose your category and start your submission" link
- Click on your submission category (such as LECTURE proposals - 2017 TBD Conference)
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on NEW SUBMISSION
- Title your submission in the following manner “Last First - Category - Title of your presentation”
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page to upload one file at a time
- Click NEW FILE
- Then the BROWSE/CHOOSE FILE button and select the file from your computer
- Click SUBMIT to upload it
- Continue to add NEW FILE until you have uploaded all required files
- You can also MODIFY your application and any uploaded files if needed
- After you have uploaded all of your files, click the FINISH link to submit your application.
Once submitted, your application will be reviewed by GAS staff to ensure all files were uploaded properly. Once approved, the Board and conference co-chairs will review your submission.
Contact email@example.com in case of problems.
2016 Corning, New York
45th Annual Glass Art Society Conference: June 9-11, 2016
SUBMISSION DEADLINE HAS PASSED. Thank you to all those that submitted proposals!
The Glass Art Society reserves the right to deny applications for Technical Display, advertising participation, GAS membership or the conference from anyone for any reason.