Open Call: September 15 - November 15, 2016
Exhibition: May 27 - July 16, 2017
The Glass Art Society (GAS), in partnership with Glass Wheel Studio, is pleased to announce a call to eligible member artists for the 2017 GAS Member Juried Exhibition. The exhibition will take place from May 27– July 16, 2017 at Glass Wheel Studio in Norfolk, Virginia, and will be a highlight of the 46th annual conference, Reflections from the Edge: Glass, Art, and Performance. The GAS Member Juried Exhibition is designed to showcase the excellence and diversity of work created in glass by Glass Art Society members.
Application Information [PDF]
Criteria: Works must feature glass as the primary element, and will be selected on the basis of originality, craftsmanship, and their creative exploration of the material of glass. The call is open to artists working in all glassmaking processes and video works documenting glass-related performance pieces. Please see the guidelines below regarding size, shipping, sales and submission timelines.
Jurors: To be announced.
Application Fee: $25, non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Awards: Special prizes will be awarded.
- Open to current and new Glass Art Society members at the Individual Level and above. Applicants must be active GAS members through June 2017 to be eligible for inclusion in this exhibition. (GAS provides a separate platform for student members to showcase their work in the International Student Exhibition at the GAS conference.)
- Members can submit one (1) work for consideration.
- Artists may enter a piece as an individual OR as a group, but not both.
- Submitted work must be available for exhibition at the studio (may not be documentation of an off-site installation).
- Work must be completed after June 1, 2015.
- Artwork logistics/size restrictions:
- Maximum object height 8 feet
- Large scale works/installations and works with video, projection, neon, or other electrical requirements must be clearly outlined with submission materials.
- When crated work cannot exceed 82” (h) x 70”(w) (Modularly-packed larger works are allowed)
- Artists with complex installation requirements may be asked to assist with install
- Video work must be no longer than 3 minutes in length.
- Artists are responsible for roundtrip crating/shipping costs.
- Artist must certify that the work is in such condition to withstand ordinary strains of packing and transportation and handling.
- Artwork will be returned packed in the same or similar materials as received.
- Artworks will be insured by Glass Wheel Studio while on view.
- Artwork must be available for exclusive sale by Glass Wheel Studio during run of the exhibition.
- Commission split: 50% to Artist; 10% to GAS; 40% to Glass Wheel Studio
- No collectors’ discounts will be offered during this show.
- Artists must provide high-resolution images for PR use (please see below for details).
Q: WHAT MEDIUMS ARE ACCEPTED?
A: This call is open to Glass Art Society member artists working in all glassmaking processes and those documenting glass-related performance pieces through video. Glass must be the primary element in submitted work. Please refer to the exhibition guidelines for details on size limitations.
Q: IS THERE AN APPLICATION FEE?
A: There is a one-time $25 non-refundable, non-transferrable application fee.
Q: CAN I SUBMIT ORIGINAL ARTWORK VIA SNAIL MAIL AS AN ENTRY?
A: No, submissions will only be accepted digitally through the GAS website here: http://www.glassart.org/MemberExhibition.html
Q: I'D LIKE TO SEE WHAT THE SPACE LOOKS LIKE BEFORE I APPLY. IS THERE A PLACE TO DO THAT?
A: Yes. The exhibition will span across two floors of Glass Wheel Studio. Feel free to browse the images of both galleries. 1st Floor Gallery:   2nd Floor Gallery:  
Q: ARE PARTNER OR GROUP SUBMISSIONS ALLOWED?
A: Artists may submit work individually OR as a group piece, but not both.
Q: I HAVE SUBMITTED WITH A PARTNER/GROUP, MAY I ALSO SUBMIT A SOLO APPLICATION?
A: No. Artists may submit work individually OR as a group piece, but not both.
Q: I'M A STUDENT MEMBER. CAN I APPLY?
A: No. The Member Juried Exhibition is for GAS members at the Individual Level and above. Therefore, student members are not eligible. However, student members can have their work shown and sold in a gallery as part of the 2017 International Student Exhibition at the GAS conference in Norfolk, VA.
Q: WILL MY WORK BE INSURED IF ACCEPTED?
A: Yes. All artists will complete a standard Exhibition Loan Agreement with Glass Wheel Studio that outlines fine art insurance coverage while works are installed and on view.
Q: WILL MY WORK BE AVAILABLE FOR SALE DURING THE EXHIBITION?
A: Yes. Works in the exhibition will be available for exclusive sale through Glass Wheel Studio. As per the exhibition guidelines and loan agreement, commission splits are as follows: 50% to Artist; 10% to GAS and 40% to Glass Wheel Studio. Given the percentage of sales benefiting GAS’s non-profit mission, no collectors’ discount will be offered for this exhibition. Detailed guidelines regarding art sales will be outlined in the exhibition loan agreement.
Q: WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SHIPPING WORKS?
A: The artist is solely responsible for roundtrip packing and shipping expenses. If accepted, Glass Wheel Studio will provide the artist detail guidelines for packing and shipping work safely. Glass Wheel Studio will also work closely with the artists to coordinate shipping schedules with respect to the overall exhibition timeline.
Q: I ACCIDENTALLY UPLOADED THE WRONG FILE/MADE A MISTAKE ON MY APPLICATION. CAN I REPLACE IT WITH A CORRECTED ONE IF IT IS STILL BEFORE THE DEADLINE?
A: Please carefully review all details of the application process prior to submitting. You can send a request to have your their application reopened for one-time editing via firstname.lastname@example.org. Edit requests will only be granted for applicants who have submitted at least week prior to deadline. No last minute edit requests will be granted.
Q: I AM CONFUSED ABOUT THE APPLICATION PROCESS. WHO SHOULD I CONTACT?
A: For questions about the call, file formats, uploads, and applications, please email: email@example.com.
The Glass Art Society reserves the right to deny applications for Technical Display, advertising participation, GAS membership or the conference from anyone for any reason.