Belger Glass Annex Lead Glassblower
This position is responsible for teaching Belger Glass Annex (BGA) classes, assisting resident artists, participating in community engagement events and activities, general upkeep of the Belger Glass Annex, gaffing minimal production 25 to 30 hours per week January 10, 2022 Commensurate with experience
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Teach intro and intermediate level glass blowing classes
● Assist resident artists
● Participate in community events that promote Belger Arts
● Lead group activities
● Collaborate with resident artists on projects, including the fabrication of art components
● Serve as a primary gaffer
● Design products for the gift shop
● Assist with the maintenance, building and rebuilding of BGA equipment
● Do live, in-person glass blowing demonstrations
● Studio maintenance and cleaning
● Available to work evenings and weekends
● Ability to lead a team in the hot shop
● Ability to take the lead on special commission projects
● Willingness and ability to learn new skills
● Comfortable working in an active, public setting
● Confidence doing live, in-person demonstrations, narrating the glass process, and giving
tours of the BGA.
● Must be a proficient glass blower able to make objects to spec.
● Experienced at leading hands-on glass blowing activities
● Able to work with people who have no glass blowing experience
● Reliable, punctual, and respectful to people and studio equipment
● Daily cleaning and organizational skills, including routinely minding the basics of cleaning tools, sweeping, and keeping equipment organized
● Work well on a team and independently
● Minimum of five years of experience working in a hot shop
● Ability to lift 50 pounds and physically able to blow glass throughout the workday
● Attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple tasks
● High school diploma or GED
● College degree preferred
About the Belger Glass Annex (BGA): The BGA is the first public glass blowing studio in Kansas City of its scale and scope. With a focus on education and community building, the new Glass Annex is located near Kansas City’s historic 18th & Vine District. Belger Arts is known for its contemporary art exhibitions, ceramics studios and related educational programming. The addition of the Glass Annex creates a unique opportunity for the cross pollination of ideas and materials across multiple art mediums. The BGA is not a production studio, but an instructional facility, focused on providing a learning environment for people interested in trying glass for the first time or growing their existing glass skills. We want to make glass accessible to all and to grow a greater appreciation of the artform in Kansas City.
The BGA Lead will be able to sell work in the gallery, use equipment and materials the studio offers, and rent BGA space to make work at a discounted rate. The BGA will host nationally recognized artists throughout the year, and the BGA Lead will be on the team assisting them. Promotion of the BGA Lead work via Belger Arts’ social media is also a possibility.
This is a chance to be a part of an organization from the ground up. We want people who are excited by this, who are motivated to shape and be part of an organization, lead it on a successful path, and grow a great glass community in a city that loves the arts.