“Working in a medium where the finished product is tactile is important to me. I like to believe my pieces are en-joyed by every sense. Something which is beautiful but you can’t touch is missing a key ingredient to the experi-ence. When I began working with glass, I felt the connection immediately”.
The vibrancy of colour and flexibility of glass provides the ideal medium for Kate, as she continues to develop new designs and ideas creating a fusion of New Zealand nature and culture with contemporary design.
Kate’s studio is located on Whangaparaoa Peninsula, north of Auckland, in beautiful New Zealand. A keen skier, winters will find Kate and family somewhere on Mt Ruapehu.
During the summer months Kate’s passion for 2 wheels takes over, competing in road cycling events and exploring the fantastic mountain bike parks and trails throughout the country. “Balancing creativity, family and being active keeps me busy and getting out in nature provides inspiration for my designs”.
• NZSAG Summer Exhibition 2017
• Lake House Christmas Exhibition 2017
• Ruapehu Art Awards 2017
• Auckland Easter Show 2017 - Glass Jewellery section
• NZ Society of Glass Artists Conference 2016 - Members Exhibition
• Ruapehu Art Awards 2016
• Waimarino Art Awards 2016
• NZSAG Committee Member
• Claudia Borella Glass Design Masterclass workshop: Sylvia Levenson, Thinking in Glass - Working Installations - 5 day workshop, Whanganui
• Claudia Borella Glass Masterclass workshop: Kirstie Rae Masterclass - In your own boots - 5 days Whanganui
• Lost Wax Casting with 800 Degrees Glass Casting, 2.5 day workshop - Franklin
• Claudia Borella Glass Masterclass workshop: Kiln forming with Glass: Gravity & Colour with Clau-dia Borella - Whanganui
• Fusing Private tutorage with Lucy Mitchell, Tauranga & Whangaparaoa
• Fusing 2 weeks training production & technique with Lucy Mitchell, Tauranga
• Casting workshop with Di Tocker, held at Sauvarins Coloured Glass, Penrose
• Fusing open-style workshops at Sauvarins Coloured Glass, Penrose
Work prior to 2015:
• Project Crimson Pohutukawa Competition:
• Diploma in Project Management - NZIM
• PROSCI Change Management Accreditation 2013
• Drawing – multiple mediums – Ponsonby Art Station 2012
• Film & TV workshop
• Photography – Edgewater collage
• Dress for your body shape – Edgewater college
• Drawing with the right side of your brain – Uxbridge Creative
• Pottery – Uxbridge Creative
• Oil Painting – Robin Midgley (artist)