Giving Students a Voice
The Glass Art Society Student Representative is an important position on the Board of Directors. The Student Representative serves as the primary champion of student projects and is the key intermediary between student members and the general membership of GAS. The Glass Art Society encourages all eligible, full-time student members in a degree-seeking glass program to apply.
Call for Self-Nominations
The application process is TBD.
- Ensure your eligibility and review the position duties (below)
- Write a letter of intention explaining what you can bring to the position and how you could best serve GAS student membership
- Submit your resume or CV
- Provide two references who will submit a letter of recommendation.
- Submit a 400-500 word (1 page) writing sample. This can be a sample from your existing writing, or you can produce a new piece on an artwork, artist, process, etc. related to glass and/or art. The writing should reflect your ability to concisely organize thoughts and deliver a synopsis or argument using proper grammar and sentence/paragraph structure. The writing sample is also a way to provide the selection committee with a look into your interests and knowledge of the field.
- Gain real-world experience in non-profit administration, project management, conference planning, and more.
- Collaborate and network with the noted artists, educators, and professionals on the GAS Board of Directors.
- Boost your resume by organizing student-related projects and initiatives.
- Get published by contributing regularly to our quarterly GASnews online newsletter.
- Make a difference by communicating and creating opportunities for students in the field of glass art.
- It’s fun!
- Enrolled full time in a college-level, degree-granting program focused in the field of glass during the 2018-2019 school year.
- Current GAS student member.
- Ability to commit to a minimum of one year of service. Note: Eligible student representatives may run for re-election for a potential maximum term of three years.
- Ability to attend the annual GAS conference planning meeting and the annual GAS conference with the Board of Directors.
- Strong sense of organization and responsibility for assigned duties.
- Writing is an essential part of the Student Representative position, as they will be a contributor to the quarterly publication of GASnews. This is a great opportunity to present to the GAS membership your insights and interests in glass programs, students, and current topics of glass education around the world.
- Recommended: Prior experience as a GAS student liaison.
- Serve as primary intermediary between student members and the general GAS membership.
- Communicate the mission, membership benefits, and special student opportunities of the Glass Art Society to eligible students interested in art made with glass.
- Participate in monthly Board of Director conference calls.
- Serve on the Board of Director’s Education and Print/Digital Media Committees and contribute to committee projects.
- Solicit one student liaison from each qualifying school and maintain regular contact with the liaison to share information about the GAS conference and membership to interested students in their program.
- Contribute to GASnews, the quarterly online GAS newsletter, about student-focused projects and opportunities. This includes writing both the Student Profile and School Profile in each issue.
- Attend the annual GAS planning meeting with the Board of Directors. Note: travel and lodging to the planning meeting is paid for by GAS.
- Attend the annual GAS conference. Note: Student Representative is responsible for his/her own travel and accommodation at the annual conference. Limited financial support may be available through the GAS Student Rep Travel Fund, but is not guaranteed.
- Before and during the annual conference, assist in managing the Student Exhibition, organize student demonstrations (if applicable), and contribute to Portfolio Review, the Education Resource Center, Poster Presentations, and other projects as needed.
- Assist GAS with social media and other outreach as needed.
- Serve as a mentor to the incoming student representative.
The Glass Art Society reserves the right to deny applications for Technical Display, advertising participation, GAS membership or the conference from anyone for any reason.