Funding to attend the Conference
Each year, the Glass Art Society recognizes the achievements and potential of student members currently enrolled in accredited, degree-granting programs. Applications are evaluated by a professional jury, and selected students are awarded scholarships to support them in their goal to learn, connect, and grow as artists at the annual GAS conference. Learn about the 2016 scholarship recipients, or view a photo gallery of other past scholarship recipients.
2017 GAS Conference - Deadline Passed
The 2017 Student Scholarship recipients will receive financial support to attend the 46th GAS conference in Norfolk, VA (June 1-3). Jurors are to be determined.
in 2017, a total of $5,000 USD will be awarded through general college-level scholarships, and a total of $1,000 USD will be awarded in scholarships at the high school level.
Becky Winship Flameworking Scholarship
One award of $1,000 USD will be given to an eligible student applicant whose work uses flameworking techniques. Generously funded by David Winship of Glasscraft, Inc. Past recipients: Kit Paulson (2016), Meredith Lopez (2015), Gabriel Greenlaw (2014), Shawn Everette (2012), Kelly McGarrigle (2011).
- Currently enrolled as a student in an accredited degree-granting program.
- Current student member of the Glass Art Society through the 2017 conference (June 2017).
- Did not receive a GAS Student Scholarship in the last 3 years offered (recipients from 2016, 2015, or 2014 are not eligible).
One application allows you to be considered for all scholarships, if eligible.
APPLICATION MATERIALS AND PROCESS - DUE FEBRUARY 15, 2017
- Artist statement - Please provide us with an artist statement (up to 500 words). Do not include your name.
- Short essay - Please provide a essay (up to 500 words) about why you wish to attend the 46th GAS conference.
- Images of Work - Please submit up to 4 images of your artwork or installation.
- Work: Designed and created by the student in 2016-2017, featuring glass as a main element.
- Images: Saved as JPEG files, no more than 150 dpi and 7 inches high or wide.
- Video: For video files, you may submit MP4, MOV, AVI, MPG, 3GP, FLV, WEBM, WMV, or MKV. Please keep all videos to 5 minutes or less. Resolution 640x480 (minimum) to 1920x1080 (maximum), aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9. Size should be less than 100MB, recommended bit rate is 240kps. You may also post links to your videos (YouTube or Vimeo) but please remove your name from the account and title.
- File Names: Title the image files with a number (1-4) followed by the title of your work. Do not include your name.
- School Name
- Professor/Teacher e-mail (instructor will be emailed to verify student status)
By submitting an application, students agree to allow GAS to use their submitted images and information in online and printed GAS publications and media. Scholarship recipients agree to provide a short, detailed description about their conference experience for use by GAS in online and print media.
The Glass Art Society reserves the right to deny applications for Technical Display, advertising participation, GAS membership or the conference from anyone for any reason.